Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sometimes bad things happen to good people

I had a student come in and talk to me. It wasn't about homework or a project, it was a sincere chat. This student has had a hard life. I can't imagine some of the things high schoolers have to deal with. But this student has overcome those things, and will be graduating with honors in a few more weeks. But he asked me if I believe in God? And I told him I did with all my heart. The follow up question, why do bad things happen to good people? How do you answer that? I mean I did answer it and told him what I believed in, I guess it was a little missionary moment for me. But yes yes, sometimes bad things happen to good people. There is a talk by Elder Richard G. Scott, and he talks about trials and challenges. He says our trials are a result of two things. One would be sin on our part, and the other one is because the lord favors us and wants to make us stronger.

Last week when I was in California my mom called me and left a message. I could tell by her voice that something was wrong. She told me the next morning that my nephew was in a really bad motorcycle accident and he is so blessed to be alive and not paralyzed, but he did break his back. I was saddened and relieved at the same time. I don't know why things happen the way they do, but I do know that it is part of a bigger plan and bigger test. I just hope that I won't miss the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment